Jul 12, 2013

Fennel Compote

This is the last time that I will mention how long I have been chewing vegetables and eschewing meat, dairy, and eggs. Today is the 656th day that I have been on this regimen and I think that it now counts as a permanent change in lifestyle.

I have been lackadaisical at updating this blog, but I hope to do better.

Here is a wonderful recipe with multiple layers of flavors.

Fennel Compote

Ingredients
  • 2 small or one large fennel
  • 3 garlic scapes
  • 1 carrot
  • 3 pear or small tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (or a little less)
  • 1/2 cup olives (I prefer a mix of green and black and I leave the pits in.)
  • 1 tsp green za'atar
Process
  1. Slice the fennel and garlic scapes thinly.
  2. Quarter the carrot lengthwise and slice thinly.
  3. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok on medium low.
  4. Add the fennel, garlic, and carrots.
  5. Cook on medium low.
  6. Chop tomatoes into small pieces.
  7. After the fennel has cooked for about 15 minutes, add the tomatoes, olives, and za'atar.
  8. Cook another 10 minutes or so.
Serve over rice, pasta, or ruzz al shierie.

I served this over Israeli whole wheat couscous made in a rice cooker with vegetable stock.

I'm one of those people who hate to waste, so it used to distress me to discard most of the fennel fronds unused. I'd use some for garnish but most of them would be composted. I recently tried an experiment that solves the problem. I simmer the fennel fronds, along with some carrot tops for about 45 minutes, strain it, and put it into a bottle in the refrigerator. It makes an excellent, slightly licorice, ice tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment