- 1 medium melitza (ok, ok dammit eggplant)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 dried Thai bird chilis
- Olive oil
|ETA I didn't use the bird chilis. Instead I used |
dried habanero chili from my garden
- Slice melitza in half lengthwise.
- Score the cut surface about 1/4 to 1/2 " deep as if for two games of tic-tac-toe.
- Salt the cut surface.
- Place the half melitzas, cut side down in a shallow roasting pan and leave on the counter at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the expelled liquid and add it to your stock pot.
- Turn the melitzas cut side up.
- Dry roast the cumin and coriander in a small skillet.
- Grind the cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon and chilis in a suribachi or mortar.
- Peel crush and mince the garlic.
- Put the garlic, lemon zest and spices powder into a small bowl.
- Add enough oil to the bowl to make a loose paste.
- Rub the spice paste onto the cut surface of the melitza.
- Roast at 350 for 50 minutes.
Here's what dinner looked like:
First the plate:
|Plate by Droll Designs, Salem, MA|
Then the food on the plate: