Dec 11, 2011

Day 59/240: Dinner out

Having dinner out is turning into a bit more of a challenge than I thought it would be. Our favorite local restaurant has very few choices that exclude animal products. When we went out to dinner on

Wednesday, I ended up having an interesting but lackluster "hummus" made with edamame. It was an interesting idea, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if my expectations hadn't been set by the name. The edamame ground up with the chickpeas gave it the consistency of one of those particulate coleslaw recipes so favored by clam shacks in New England. It was good and surprising, but the part that was good was not surprising, and the part that was surprising wasn't all that good.

For the other part of dinner I had vegetable spring rolls: rice wrappers filled with asparagus, basil, mint, cucumbers, carrots, rice noodles and cilantro pesto, chilled and served with peanut dipping sauce. These were very good but they will get a little wearing with repetition.

I guess the entire dinner was flavored with bitter tears as I realized that I had just eaten two of the three choices available that would fit my diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment