Dec 23, 2011

Day 73/240: A Salad Sandwich

It's very tricky trying to exclude dairy from my diet. Apparently, restaurants assume that vegetarians eat cheese butter and eggs. The frustration of having to parse each menu carefully and query the waitrons about the preparation is probably what makes so many vegans seem intolerant and intolerable.

Usually, it all works out, but sometimes I can't help but think that my choice of diet forces me to be more of a center of attention than I would like.

I had lunch at a not-so-local restaurant on Wednesday and realized that all of the vegetarian sandwiches were topped by cheese. Not a big deal, I just asked for the sandwich I wanted to be made without it. But still ... it bothered me. I guess that there's a chunk of OCD brain matter that gets irritated by niggly things like, if it's a vegetarian sandwich, why don't they make it with just vegetables and let people add the cheese if they want to.

Why am I more bothered by asking people to take food off than I am by asking to add something on?

The sandwich, by the way, was a humungous, and tightly rolled salad wrap with a vinaigrette dressing. I barely finished half of it and took the rest home for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment