Dec 11, 2011

Day 60/240: Hummus Roll-ups with Skhug Yarok

I made a supply of hummus today. A pound of cooked chickpeas formed the base to which I added 2 Tbs of tahini, about 1/4 cup olive oil, a tsp of ground cumin, a dash of cayenne, and four minced cloves of garlic. This should last me a couple of days.

Then, for the very first time I made Skhug Yarok. This is the hot green sauce that you get at traditional felafel stands. The last time I had some was in Israel many years ago. Someone reminded me of the sauce and some searching got me a couple of excellent recipes which I tweaked very slightly.

DAMN that stuff is good. It is going to be my new "go to" condiment, and the recipe is dead simple, it's just a pesto that substitutes green chilis for the cheese.


Skhug Yarok
Ingredients

  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 6-8 hot green peppers (choose them to your own capsaicin tolerance)
  • 6-8 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tsps cumin seed
  • 2 tsps coriander seed
  • 1 tsp black peppercorn
  • 2 tsps cardamom seed
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 2/3 tsp salt
  • EV olive oil

Preparation

  1. Wash the cilantro and let it drip dry while you ... 
  2. Clean and seed the peppers. 
  3. Toast coriander, cardamom, and cumin seed.
  4. Grind all seeds in a suribachi or mortar.
  5. Mince garlic.
  6. Put everything into a food processor.
  7. Process to a paste adding a small amount of olive oil until your preferred consistency is reached.
Supposedly this will keep nicely in the refrigerator for 2-4 weeks but, in reality, I think it'll be used-up long before that time.


I purchased some tomato-basil flatbreads and spread the hummus down the middle of one, added some avocado slices, a little tomato, and a beautiful green stripe of Skhug Yarok.

Bliss, my friends ... just bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment