Nov 4, 2011

Day 27/180: Seitan's Stir-fry

I should have done this on the 31st, just for the sound of it. I'm not going to make this a formal recipe since it was made up as I went along.

First the seitan. I used the standard recipe, but reduced the amount of water in the dough so the proportions were 1 cup gluten to 7/8 cup water. I also added about 3 Tbs of curry powder to the dry gluten before mixing. I used about four cups of water, a vegetarian bouillon cube and about 3 Tbs of light soy sauce for the boiling mixture.

I cooked it for an hour and took the seitan out to cool. I used the remaining liquid to make a small pot of couscous and mushrooms.

After it cooled and drained, I sliced the seitan into thin strips and stir-fried it with 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger, 4 baby carrots cut in thirds, 1 small zucchini sliced with a rolling cut, three scallions, and about 8 snow pea pods. At the end I added a corn starch soy sauce and water mixture to make a gravy.

It was excellent.

I think my next seitan experiment may be to use chili powder in the mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment