- 1/2 pound dried chickpeas
- Lots of water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs cumin seed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Dried chilis
- Optional (but you're really missing out if you don't) 1-2 Tbs sweet white miso
- 2+ Tbs tahini
- Cook the chickpeas over low heat until very soft. (A couple of hours should do it even if you didn't soak them.) Add more water when necessary.
- Let them cool.
- Mince the garlic.
- Grind the cumin and chilis to a powder.
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the liquid.
- Put everything but the liquid into a food processor.
- Turn on the food processor.
- Slowly add the liquid until the hummus gets to a consistency that you like.
Store in the fridge (it won't get a chance to expire).