A good day to use the oven.
Roast Vegetables With Kasha
- 6 small potatoes
- 18 fresh Brussels sprouts
- 4 slices portobello mushroom
- 1 large carrot
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup kasha
- 1 cup v. stock
- 1/3 cup dried mushrooms
- Heat the oven to 400
- Cut the potatoes in half.
- Cut the carrot into app 4" lengths, then quarter it lengthwise making thick carrot sticks.
- Trim about 1/8th" off the stem off each sprout an strip off any wilted leaves.
- Remember to put all trimmings into the stock pot.
- Cut each sprout in half across the stem.
- Put the potatoes, carrots, and sprouts int a large bowl.
- Douse the vegetables with olive oil and toss well.
- Add balsamic vinegar and toss some more.
- Arrange in a flat bottom roasting pan cut side down.
- Gently coat the mushrooms with what's left of the marinade.
- Add them to the roasting pan.
- Put the roasting pan into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Put a large saucepan on medium.
- Add the olive oil.
- Add the kasha.
- Stir until kasha sizzles and is fully coated with oil.
- Turn the heat down to simmer.
- Add the dried mushrooms.
- Add the stock.
- Turn the heat off under the pan and let it sit while you wait for ...
- When the vegetables are done, put a mound of kasha in the middle of the plate.
- Arrange vegetables around it.
I added a little puddle of tamarind chutney and another of cilantro chutney just to keep my tastebuds tickled.
Obviously this can be tweaked to your own preference or vegetable availability. Zucchini or summer squash would work well. Eggplant would take a little more prep.