Oct 6, 2011

The title of the blog

I need to explain the blog title.

I live in a house with my wife and son. Both of them are carnivores and view vegetables other than potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, and lettuce with a kind of superstitious and horrified dread.

So I cook for one.

And because this is a choice I have made, because I am not sickened or disgusted by meat, eggs, and dairy, every day, every meal is a temptation. I can't eat alone without being accused of being anti-social. I can't sit at dinner without using all my will-power to not reach for the platter of steak, or the roasted chicken.

I open the fridge to take out some carrots for my lentil stew, and there sits the cheddar ... I can almost hear it saying, "Come on, you know you want me. What could it hurt?"

My wife cooks too much meat for each meal and I hate waste. In times past, I'd eat all the leftovers just to keep them from being thrown out. Today I had to steel myself against the sight of half a pound of sirloin tips, temptingly left (no doubt as a test I was to fail) from the previous day's dinner were quietly slid into the garbage container.

It has only been two weeks and I know it will get easier, but it is going to be a solitary path.

No comments:

Post a Comment