Oct 19, 2011

Day 12/180: Chili con TVP

The chili is simmering away on the back of the stove. I can already tell that it is going to be a great success. As I mentioned in my last post, I suspected that the tube packages of flavored TVP had not been stored properly either in transit or by the grocer. I think that my suspicions were justified. Either that or the protein just degrades over the period between hydration and sale.

Today I hydrated 2 cups of Bob's Red Mill TVP with 1.75 cups of vegetable bouillon. The result was a product that had a good texture and a slightly resistant bite. It was not slimy or sticky at all. I am very surprised at the difference in quality.

I made chili with it. It's a very simple recipe, and a very tasty one. It still has another hour or so to go, but early sampling tells me that it is going to be excellent.

Chili con TVP
Equipment
  • Cleaver
  • Cutting board
  • Bowl
  • Medium saucepan
Ingredients
  • 1 cup TVP
  • 7/8 cup vegetable bouillon or stock
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1-2 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 cup cooked beans 
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 Tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • (Optional) Cayenne (I like a lot of heat.)
Method
  1. Boil the vegetable bouillon.
  2. Put the TVP into the bowl.
  3. Add boiling bouillon to the TVP.
  4. Stir and set aside.
  5. Mince the garlic.
  6. Dice the onion.
  7. Put the saucepan on medium.
  8. Add oil and heat until it sizzles (or is ready to).
  9. Add the garlic, onion, and cumin (if whole otherwise add with the chili powder).
  10. Saute for a minute or two.
  11. Add the spices and stir quickly.
  12. Add the TVP and stir quickly until spices seem well-distributed.
  13. Add the tomatoes.
  14. Add the beans.
  15. Stir well.
  16. When mixture starts to bubble, lower heat to simmer (or lower if possible).
  17. Let it cook for 60 to 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
Serve over rice or noodles, or all by itself in a bowl with some pita bread on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment