Jan 15, 2012

Day 94/103: Lamacun


I hydrate the TVP and some dried mushrooms with vegetable stock that has simmered with some jalapeno chilis to give it some bite. Then I mix in minced garlic, minced onion, freshly ground coriander and cumin, a glug or two of olive oil and a good dollop of red pepper or tomato paste.
I mix that thoroughly, and put it in the fridge for a few minutes, I pre-heat the oven to 350 with one rack on the second highest position and the other right in the middle. While it’s heating I split a half dozen or so pitas into single layer disks (smooth side down), and start spreading the TVP mixture on the upper surface so that it nearly reaches the edge.
When the oven’s ready, I have two cookie sheets, sprayed with olive oil, ready with two pita disks on each. The first tray goes on the middle rack for 4-5 minutes then I move it to the top rack and put the second tray in. After another 4-5 minutes I pull the first tray, move the second up, unload the first, then reload it and continue that process until all of the disks have been cooked.
It sounds far more complicated than it really is but, f you plan it right, the whole operation takes less than 20 minutes,
This is a very malleable recipe, nearly anything that you would use to top a pizza can be brought into the mix. I’m particularly fond of pitted oil-cured black olives, but mushrooms, capers, etc. are fine additions. If you're not as strict a vegetarian as me, you can also add cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment