Apr 10, 2013

Back again!

Oh dear ... it has been a while. This afternoon I was embarrassed when someone (you know who you are) mentioned this blog and I realized how deficient I have been at posting.

It is, however, day 593 of my solely herbivorous diet. Both my LDL and HDL levels are at 49, my BP runs about 110/65 and my cardiologist is threatening to enrich me by taking me off the handful of medications that I have been on.

I though my biggest challenge for this experiment would be my desire for meat and cheese (occasionally I am still tempted) but the biggest problem has been much more plebeian ... cooking for one. The situation is this, my wife and youngest son are omnivores to the point of being disgusted and repulsed by anything meatless or cheeseless. This means that they will not share my food. I offer but am constantly refused. (Yes, I'm exaggerating a bit but not much.) It's a shame too since what I make is more interesting, tastier and healthier than their usual fare.

The other day, for example, I had half a dozen each of baby potatoes, fresh Brussels sprouts, baby bella mushrooms, and small onions all cut in halves tossed with sesame chili oil and roasted for 40 minutes at 425F served around a mound of saffron rice. They shared a frozen pepperoni pizza. The sublime and the ridiculous isn't it?

This means that I either have to cook in extremely small batches, or freeze some for another day. I'll go into that more on some other occasion. In the meantime, here's a quick and easy:

Nightshade Curry

  • 1 small can chickpeas
  • 1 small can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 small eggplant
  • 2 tsp hot madras curry powder
  • 1 tbs grapeseed or peanut oil
  1. Put a saucepan on a medium low burner with the oil.
  2. Dice the onion.
  3. When the oil sizzles add the onion.
  4. Cook until the onion is translucent.
  5. Add the curry powder and stir well.
  6. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes.
  7. Chop the eggplant into 1" thick slices and quarter them.
  8. Add the eggplant.
  9. Stir well.
  10. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for at least an hour (more is better) stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary
Serve with rice cooked with tumeric and raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment