Jan 2, 2012

Day 83/240: New Year's Day

I made up a slaw salad with carrot, broccoli and red cabbage shreds mixed with some of my tofu mayonnaise.

I should say something about the tofu mayonnaise. It's a really easy recipe and takes spicing and flavoring well, but a lot of the formulas for it call for the use of silken tofu. I don't agree.

Silken tofu does not press easily and because of its consistency it makes far too soupy a product. The consistency ends up closer to a "ranch" salad dressing. This is fine if that's what you want, but I like a thicker result. I'm also willing to put up with a slightly grainier mouth feel for it.

At some point, I'm going to try hanging the silken tofu (like you do when you make panir or Greek yogurt) and see if I can improve the texture and thickness simultaneously.

That, being said, I have a couple of tips:

  1. Making zkhuk yarok with basil instead of cilantro gives you a high octane pesto! I think that there are many ways these two sauces might intersect to my tongue's advantage.
  2. Making tofu mayonnaise with either zkhuk yarok or zkhuk pesto is a grand idea and works really well. Start with a small amount and scale up according to the flammability of your taste buds.
  3. Using serrano peppers in zkhuk significantly increases the SHU. Be forewarned and taste test before slathering it on.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment