Jan 2, 2012

Disloco

I have to say that I was disappointed in the vegetables I picked up from a farm stand in Sudbury. The place was very Whole Foodsy for such a small place, but I suppose that's to be expected in such a ritzy suburb.

I picked up an English (seedless) cucumber, an eggplant, a bunch of parsley, a bunch of cilantro, some purple potatoes and some baby Yukon gold potatoes. The prices were what I would have expected at WF.

The vegetable quality, however, was not!

The next day, the cucumber was covered with soft moldy spots. I recovered what I could, but my frugality lost out to disgust and most of it ended up in the compost bin. I turned to the eggplant. It had no obvious faults but it was going soft far faster than I'd expected. I decided to cook that immediately to forestall any loss. That was the Melitza recipe on the 29th.

What had been a nice bunch of parsley the previous afternoon was now slimy with half-rotted dark green glop. Some of it was salvageable so I rinsed it really well and used it and what was left of the cuke to make a tabbouleh.

I had gone through the zkhuk yarok from mid-December faster than I'd expected, so, while I was in the kitchen I decided to replenish the jar. I pulled the bag of cilantro out of the veggie bin. This was completely unusable. I couldn't even discern any leaves in the dark green sludge. With some trepidation, I checked the potatoes. They looked okay.

But the next day, I decided to slice up some of the purple potatoes and roast them. I have to say that I was surprised and disappointed to find that they were not what they seemed. Rather than purple-fleshed potatoes they were merely purple-skinned.

On the whole, I have had better shopping experiences, and for less money.

Although tempted, I decided not to document the rotting veggies with photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment